Friday, October 3, 2008

Best Actor Nominations 2009 (Based Solely on Trailers).

My wife can vouch for me.

I have successfully picked the last two Academy Award Best Actor Winners based solely on the merits of the film's trailer.

Seriously, you can ask her.

As you know, Forest Whitaker won in 2007 for "The Last King of Scotland" (2006) and Daniel Day-Lewis won in 2008 for "There Will Be Blood" (2007).

I've decided to up the ante.

Instead of predicting the Best Actor, I'm going to predict ALL FIVE BEST ACTOR NOMINEES, based solely on trailers.

Here's the lowdown. I will give you the Actor, Oscar Background, Thoughts, and the Trailer. I will also give you my "Clincher" moment. This will be the moment in the trailer that clinches my gut feeling about the nomination.

Check back with me on January 22nd, 2009 when the Academy releases their nominees.

I'm not a betting man, but if I was...

__________________________________________________________

Sean Penn -- "Milk" (2008)

Oscar Background: Nominated 1996, "Dead Man Walking" (1995); Nominated 2000, "Sweet and Lowdown" (1999); Nominated 2002, "I Am Sam" (2001); Nominated/Won 2004 "Mystic River" (2003).

The Clincher: (1:27 - 1:31) & (1:45 - 1:51).

Thoughts: Having misfired in his last attempt to grab a nomination in "All the King's Men" (2006), Penn returns in what looks like his finest performance yet. Coupled with a re-energized Gus Van Sant, who hasn't made a mainstream film since his redudant "Finding Forrester" (2000), Penn is an absolute lock to get one of the noms.



Frank Langella -- "Frost/Nixon" (2008)

Oscar Background: None.

The Clincher: (1:02 - 1:04), (1:38 - 1:40), (1:52 - 1:55), & (2:18 - 2:21).

Thoughts: He won Best Lead Actor in a Play at the 2007 Tony Awards for his role as Richard Nixon in "Frost/Nixon." This is a far cry from his forgettable performance as the over-the-top pirate Dawg Brown in "Cutthroat Island" (1995). He has recently regained some steam with solid performances in "Good Night and Good Luck" (2005) and "Starting Out in the Evening" (2007). The big question is: Where will Langella's Nixon rank? Is it more Anthony Hopkins in "Nixon" (1995) or Dan Hedaya in "Dick" (1999)? He is this year's dark horse.



Heath Ledger -- "The Dark Knight" (2008)

Oscar Background: Nominated 2006, "Brokeback Mountain" (2005).

The Clincher: (0:44 - 1:02).

Thoughts: I have already seen this film, twice. However, once I saw this trailer, I knew Ledger was going to knock-it-out-of-the-park. Just an awesome, jaw-dropping performance by Ledger in a fantastic all-around film. This is my second lock.



Jamie Foxx -- "The Soloist" (2008)

Oscar Background: Nominated/Won 2005, "Ray" (2004); Nominated, Best Supporting, 2005, "Collateral" (2004).

The Clincher: (0:36 - 0:54).

Thoughts: I have reservations about this pick. The Academy loves handicapped, be it mentally or physically, performances by their actors (see Dustin Hoffman, Daniel Day-Lewis, Tom Hanks, Al Pacino, Leonardo DiCaprio, just to name a few). However, my gut tells me that Foxx is going to fall short. But the odds of getting a nom are in his favor.



Leonardo DiCaprio -- "Revolutionary Road" (2008)

Oscar Background: Nominated, Best Supporting, 1994, "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" (1993); Nominated 2005, "The Aviator" (2004); Nominated 2007, "Blood Diamond" (2006).

The Clincher: (1:02 - 1:12) & (1:14 - 1:26).

Thoughts: I believe Leo is the finest actor of our generation and before his career is over, he should get at least one Oscar. This film looks good. Leo playing a Suburban Man in a era of conformity. This could be his year.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the inaugural posts. Nice picks, but here's the real question:

Who's gonna win?

And when can we expect your picks for actress?

mediasniper said...

I think Ryan Gosling is a better actor than Leo.

SpectacularSq. said...

Love this post, love the blog so far. So you think Josh Brolin won't pull it out with "W."? I could see him being a dark horse, too.

I'm excited to see your trailer picks in other categories! If Baz Luhrmann doesn't get an award (much less a nomination), I will punch a wall.